Advanced Email Security Protection for Office 365
Threat actors target Office 365 infrastructure with identity deception.
Microsoft Office 365 is the dominant choice for large organizations using or considering cloud-based email. While the move to Office 365 reduces operations and management overhead and provides a compelling user experience, it raises serious security challenges. If you’re making the move to the cloud and Office 365, you need to augment your email security to address today’s most damaging threats.
Office 365 Security Is No Match for Identity Deception
Email is the preferred cyber-crime attack vector and the entry point for 95% of the world’s breaches*. While Office 365 provides good enough security to stop spam, known viruses and malware, it won’t secure you against the most sophisticated email attacks such as Business Email Compromise or spear phishing that rely on identity deception.
In fact, identity deception is so effective that it is used in nearly all advanced email attacks. To stop these attacks a new model focused on determining sender trust and message authenticity is required, of which Exchange Online Protection was never designed for.
*Verizon , “2017 Data Breach Report” http://www.verizonenterprise.com/resources/reports/rp_data-breach-digest-2017-perspective-is-reality_xg_en.pdf
Exchange Online Protection (EOP) works best for:
- Stopping new and existing spam attacks
- Managing unwanted bulk email such as newsletters
- Detecting large-scale scattershot attacks that use: malicious attachments, malicious URLs
Agari fortifies EOP by stopping:
- Business Email Compromise and spear phishing
- Low-volume, targeted email attacks that use identity deception
- Social engineering-based attacks that contain no malicious content
- Spam attacks missed by Exchange Online Protection
A View From the Trenches
Customer: Leading Cloud Solutions Provider
Environment: Exchange Online Protection + Agari Enterprise Protect
Attacker Goal: Execute wire transfer fraud
Tactic: Targeted, social-engineered email using display name deception and containing no malicious URL or attachments included
Result: Blocked by Agari Enterprise Protect
Fortify Office 365 With Trust-based Security Which Attackers Can’t Evade
Other approaches rely on trying to predict or detect bad behavior or malicious content. This works if attackers don’t evolve and innovate. Only Agari Enterprise Protect integrates new machine learning models that enables the ability to detect and block advanced email attacks. With Agari Identity IntelligenceTM (AI2) as the core of its next generation Advanced Threat Protection platform for email. AI2 uses multiple patented Machine Learning models and artificial intelligence that maps communications to known identities, detects behavioral anomalies, and understands trust relationships to reveal deception. Agari leverages global email telemetry of more than 2 trillion emails per year and real-time data pipelines to train its Internet-scale ML models and stay ahead of the modern, sophisticated, identity-based email attacks such as ATO and BEC attacks.
Office 365 + Agari: An Unbeatable Combination
- Integrated identity-based threat detection with machine learning that stops advanced email attacks
- Cloud-native architecture for seamless integration with Exchange Online & Azure Active Directory
- Access to email attack forensics intelligence to help prioritize security incidents and automate remediation actions